Meet The Doctor
- Early screening promotes the early detection of orthodontic problems and results in more effective treatment.
- Adult orthodontics may prevent the loss of teeth and may improve one’s ability to clean their teeth.
- Beautiful smiles result in increased confidence and self-esteem.
Some Things About Me
I grew up on Long Island in New York, moved to Texas for dental school and then on to Colorado with the Army in 1987. I love living close to the Rocky Mountains. In the winter, I enjoy skiing, and I enjoy some biking and hiking in the summer.
My husband, Jim and I, like to travel to places where we can scuba dive or where the scenery is breath taking. We would say that the glaciers in Alaska are probably one of most beautiful places we have ever been. We have two children. My son, Michael Murphy, is a dental student at the University of Colorado. He enjoys skiing, playing the piano and studying the Spanish language and culture. My daughter, Theresa Murphy, graduated from Colorado State University last May and is attending Baltimore University Law School. She loves riding horses, skiing and swimming.
Before retiring each night, I like to read. My favorite books include all the Harry Potter novels, the Hunger Games series, A Thousand Splendid Suns and such classics as Gone With the Wind. Still a kid at heart, I enjoy Disney movies and have to get to Disney World at least once every five years.
It is important for me to give back to my community. Since I opened my practice in 1996, I have been providing complimentary care for children of financially challenged families. These patients have been referred to me through such groups as Kids In Need of Dentistry (KIND) and The National Foundation of Dentistry for the Handicapped.
Since 1987, I have served and still currently serve our country.Through the Army Reserves, I have had the opportunity to participate in humanitarian aid missions to Mongolia three times and once to Indonesia. It has been a real honor to represent our country in missions that bring modern medicine and dentistry to very rural areas of the world. I have had the privilege of working side by side with dental and medical professionals from Malaysia, Thailand, Cambodia, The Philippines, Australia, France, Indonesia, and Mongolia.
- Kids In Need of Dentistry – Volunteer
- The National Foundation of Dentistry for the Handicapped – Volunteer
- CPR Instructor
- Speaker for Small Community Groups and Schools
Dr. Michael volunteers for humanitarian missions with the US Army Reserves
University of Texas at Houston Health Science Center Dental Branch
Master of Science…………………………………1995-1999
Graduate Certificate in Orthodontics……….1993-1995
Doctor of Dental Surgery……………………….1983-1987
United States Army Dental Activity at Fort Carson
Advanced Educational Program in General Dentistry/1 year Evans Community Hospital, Colorado Springs, CO ….1987-1988
State University of New York at Stony Brook
Bachelor of Science with Honors in Biological Sciences Child Care and Family Studies Minor……………..1979-1983
- American Association of Women Dentists Award for Demonstrating Academic Excellence and Outstanding Leadership
- The Army Commendation Medal (2)
- The Army Achievement Medal (3)
- National Defense Service Medal
- Armed Forces Service Medal
- Army Service Ribbon
- Overseas Service Ribbon
- Army Reserve Components Overseas Training Ribbon
The Camargo Family